Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does Shazzy's Lodge do?
Shazzy's Lodge is a 501c3 non-profit organization whose mission is to help cancer patients who are undergoing outpatient treatment in New York State. Shazzy's Lodge aims to help patients and their families afford temporary housing in New York state near the patient's cancer center when the treatment is far from their home.
2. What states does Shazzy's Lodge operate in?
Shazzy's Lodge is a non-profit New York State organization. Through financial subsidies, our mission is to help cancer patients and their families afford temporary housing in New York State near the patient's outpatient care center when the outpatient treatment is far from their home.
3. What makes Shazzy's Lodge different from Ronald McDonald House?
Shazzy's Lodge does not provide housing. It provides financial subsidies for temporary housing to help cancer patients and their families afford to stay close to the patient's New York State outpatient cancer center when the NY cancer center is far from their home.
4. How does Shazzy's Lodge find patients that qualify for support?
Our model is to identify qualified patients through New York state hospitals and cancer centers where these patients will receive outpatient treatment and when that treatment center is far from their home. By coordinating through the hospitals and cancer centers, we aim to streamline the process for qualifying patients.
5. In addition to subsidizing temporary housing, does Shazzy's Lodge help find the housing?
No, we do not help patients find temporary housing.
6. Are donations to Shazzy's Lodge tax deductible?
Shazzy's Lodge Inc. is a public charity described in Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3). Contributions to Shazzy's Lodge are tax deductible in accordance with Section 170 of the Code. Please consult your tax advisor for questions regarding deductibility.
7. Besides providing financial subsides for temporary housing in New York State as described on this this site, what other activities does Shazzy's Lodge fund?
Shazzy's Lodge may from time to time provide grants to non-affiliated cancer-related charities that overlap in the mission of providing housing subsidies to cancer patients in NY state. If any such grants are provided, a list of grantees will be included in our IRS Form 990.